Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Not for the faint hearted

Dear Hit and Run driver,

I understand that last week Thursday may have been a bit of a stressful day for you and that you couldn't hang around to see the damage you caused to my friend Jeroen so I thought I would show you.

Just to jog your memory; you were driving along De Clerqstraat in Amsterdam on Thursday evening around 11.30 pm and hit someone who was cycling along minding their own business. You didn't stop to see what had happenend but kept driving like the arrogant swine you were probably brought up to be. Luckily for my friend, the people behind saw everything and managed to call an ambulance But fortunately for you, they didn't managage to catch your number plate. Shame really as it would have been nice for you to meet Jeroen. He's a funny guy and I'm sure he would have laughed and joked with you about the whole thing, had he been concious at the time.

This is day 1 and by the looks of things, Jereon is still out of it. Which is kind of lucky because after he smacked the ground at high speed, his eye socket and cheekbone broke. I imagine that it must have hurt a bit. Oh I nearly forgot, you managed to crack his skull too. To be quite precise the external occipital protuberance. As you will see from the next 2 photos, he's getting better however he has to wear a collar for a few weeks in order to let the various breaks heal up.

While you were racing off home, checking for bloodstains on your car and snuggling up in bed, my best friend (Jeroen's girlfriend) was pacing the floor and worrying herself sick. I don't know if you've ever worried about someone in your life but its like a very painful limbo, not knowing where someone is or what has happened to them. All sorts of thoughts fly through your head. You imagine terrible things like them lying in a ditch or a the side of a road after being knocked off of their bike by some eejit.

So Mr or Ms Hit and Run Driver, if you ever read this (or get someone who's more literate to read it for you), driving is not a game of grand theft auto. In real life the people you knock down don't get back up again so easily.

I really hope that what goes around comes around.
Groetjes
Jules

3 comments:

Unknown said...

dreadful. just dreadful. I am so glad your friend survived.

FuguesStateKnits said...

Indeed! How awful! I hope your friend recovers well.
Thank heavens for national health care! (unlike other places I could name!)
Good thoughts going out to all of you!
joan a/k/a FSK

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! This is the kind of story you see on crime shows. I sincerely hope that everyone involved in this drama will get what's coming to them. Best of luck to you and your friends.