Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Beerfested


On Friday evening I went to heaven. Don't worry, I didn't get knocked off my bike again, I went to the beermeile in Berlin. 2.2km of beer and crap music. Well some folks liked the music but I tend to think of german Schlagermusik as something I have to put up with if I want to enjoy beer festivals in Germany. I enjoyed the beer so much that I spend most of saturday and sunday on the couch finishing these. That's Frank modeling them for me. As you can see, they're very short but that's what he wanted, so that's what he got. The yarn is a bamboo mix which his nibbs loves. He swears that they make his feet less smelly and I tend to agree with him so I'll keep making them until his entire sock drawer is full of them. These are knitted up on 2mm's as the yarn is very thin and on the 2.5mm's the stitches were just too loose. The yarn is by Online and was half the price of the Regia Bamboo but we'll see if its any different in wearability, washability and general comfyness. Actually its tough if he likes the Regia better coz I've got another ball of the Online stuff and some left over from the ball that I made these out of. I tend to have these type of socks as an ongoing project for when I don't need to concentrate too much on what I'm knitting. You see his feet are huge and especially with the 2mm needles, it seems to take forever to get a foot done.
I've also had loads of mails from people concerned about my friend Jeroen. He's doing better now. The collar will be coming off soon and he's moving around quite the thing. He says himself that it looks a lot worse than it was but still, its a bit of a shocker. Its making me seriously concider buying one of those really ugly but very safe cycling helmets. When I think of the amount of times I've been nearly knocked off my bike or actually knocked off my bike here in Berlin, I think that it might actually be useful to have and to wear one. I might look daft but at least I've got less chance of having my brains splattered across the pavement or road. Just wonder if they do them in Frank's size. He's got a rather large head as well as feet.
I'm now on another 2 pairs of socks. Still finishing the jitterbug socks. They have just not turned out the way I wanted them to but they'll keep my feet warm in my blundstone boots this winter. I've also started a pair of socks in the flaemschen muster from the genial sockenworkshop book. I don't think pattern looks like flames at all. It looks more like the eye in a peacock feather to me so I'm knitting them up in a nice turquoise colour. Will take photo when I get good light again which is usually in the morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great socks! You are lucky that your husband likes short leg socks. Mine likes long leg (almost knee high) and I find working on the leg sooooo boring! LOL

Colinette Jitterbug is one of my favorite yarn sock. I made a pair of socks for myself with the Lapis colorway.

You can see it here if you'd like...
http://tricotine.typepad.com/photos/finished_objects_2007/dsc021157x5txt.html

I thought that a simple sock pattern would show the colorway better, and I like the way my socks turned out.

Have you tried the Jaywalker sock pattern? It is ideal for varigated yarn.

Here is the link
http://magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm

Good luck! :-)

Isabelle aka Tricotine, from the Socknitters group.
http://tricotine.typepad.com

Rachael said...

Hi Jules- I am back in Germany!! My husband was in Berlin today- I wish I could have gone with him- it would have been so fun to meet up.
Your socks look great. I haven't done much knitting this summer. Spent too much time schlepping my kids from one fun activity to the next. I only finished one pair of socks and most of a teeny tiny sample baby sweater.
Best wishes for your friend Jeroen- I hope he is feeling "mucho betta"

Unknown said...

I like those socks and might well do a pair, longer, for John.
Next Wednesday I shall be in Heidelberg. I intend buying some plain coloured yarn. Glad to know Online do some. I have a whole load of their pattern yarns-the whole collection of Holiday, India , City, and Tropical.